SINGAPORE: The number of new dengue cases in Singapore has risen for the third week in a row, with 235 cases in the week ending Jul 2 compared to 215 the previous week, according to latest figures on the National Environment Agency’s (NEA) dengue website.
Another 29 cases were reported between Jul 3 and 3pm on Jul 4.
In total, 9,174 dengue cases have been reported in Singapore since the start of the year. At least five people have died of the disease so far – a 47-year-old man who lived in Marsiling Rise, a 67-year-old man who lived in Toa Payoh, a 63-year-old woman who lived in Bedok, a 73-year-old woman who lived in Hougang, and in the latest case, a 79-year-old man who lived in Kaki Bukit.
There are now 36 active dengue clusters in Singapore – same as the previous week – including seven classified as high-risk. The biggest cluster is in the area around Admiralty Drive and Sembawang Drive, where 42 cases have been reported, including two in the past fortnight.
In an advisory on its dengue website, NEA called for vigilance from homeowners to prevent mosquito breeding amid the traditional peak season for dengue in Singapore.
Last week, the authority said the number of cases in the first half of the year was more than twice the same period the previous year, adding that it is anticipating an upward trend in the number of dengue cases in the coming months.
The Ministry of Health (MOH) and NEA have warned that the number of dengue cases in Singapore may exceed 30,000 this year, higher than the record of 22,170 reported in 2013.
Singapore also reported its first case of the Zika virus in May. The patient, a 48-year-old male Permanent Resident who lives in Bukit Timah’s Watten Estate, had travelled to Sao Paulo in Brazil and developed a fever and rash three days after his return.
Although the patient was discharged from hospital after making a full recovery, MOH and NEA have said there is still a possibility of secondary infection.